Wondering how you can celebrate Cinco de Mayo without the hefty plane fare? Award-winning el Jimador Blanco tequila has partnered with Mexican food influencer and supper club chef, Karla Zazueta (@mexicanfoodmemories) to create the five delicious recipes that celebrate the national Mexican holiday. See below for our favourite from the collection…
Ancho Chilli & Tequila Chicken Tacos
Serves 4, Prep 10 min, Cook 20 min
The ultimate sharing snack, these chicken tacos infused with tequila are a great recipe to share when gathering with family and friends. The deep and earthy flavour of the ancho chilli is balanced by the citrusy notes of the el Jimador Blanco Paloma. If you’re looking to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a plant-based fashion, use cauliflower florets in place of the chicken and a vegan mayo in place of the sour cream.
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 60ml el Jimador Blanco tequila
- 45ml, 2 tbsp ancho chilli paste
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 5ml salt
Pico de Gallo:
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- ½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- Juice of ½ lime
To serve: 10 small corn tortillas, Pico de Gallo & 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 350 F or Gas mark 4.
- In a bowl mix the el Jimador Blanco, ancho chilli paste, salt, and vegetable oil.
- Place the chicken thighs in a freezer bag and add the tequila-ancho marinade and rub together.
- Heat a grilling pan and grill the chicken thighs for 5 minutes, then place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- To make the Pico de Gallo, finely dice the tomatoes and onion, and chop the coriander. Mix them all in a bowl, squeeze the juice of half a lime and season with salt.
- When the chicken is cooked all the way through, slice the thighs into small chunks.
- Warm a corn tortilla, spread on some sour cream, add the chicken, and top it with some Pico de Gallo.