We’re suckers for a makeup palette, mainly because they always look sooo pretty, almost too good to use. But although they’re expertly put together by the brands we love, hands up who rarely touches every single hue in the palette? There’s at least one shade that goes untouched, correct? Well, we’re about to change that. We’ve been smudging, smearing, and playing with the latest summer makeup palettes to give you the lowdown on the ones that are worth their buck, with the colourways that we promise will be used and abused.
Here, Mira Parmar, celebrity makeup artist (#miramakeup) gives us her palette-shopping tips so no colour goes unspoilt.
- When choosing a great palette, consider size and how much makeup you wear daily, if you are a basic eyeshadow wearer then a small 4/6 palette will be perfect.
- Go bigger and bolder with colour if you are more experimental and fun with your looks. A failsafe palette is always one with browns and muted colours, matte and shimmers would be perfect so you can play on eyes, lips, and cheeks too!
- Find a palette that’s versatile (light and dark shades) if there is a black and brown in your palette it can double up as an eyeliner or brow filler, pink can be used as a blush and champagne as a highlighter! Perfect for streamlining your makeup for travel.
- Use your eyes for inspiration: For blue and green eyes, browns, purples, and bronzes are amazing for bringing out your eye colour and accentuating the eye. For dark eyes bronzes, taupes and aubergines are gorgeous to the eye and compliment the skin tone.
- Break the rules. There are so many types of eyeshadows out there all can be mixed and matched together dependant on colours and what you want. For example, adding a pop of metallic on to a matte eyelid gives a super glam look whilst using matte browns and taupes give a really natural nude no makeup-makeup eye.
- And don’t forget to keep your palette in tip-top condition. Regularly clean it with a cotton bud and alcohol, you can also put it into a spray and spritz over to keep clean the palette. And don’t forget your brushes too! Keep brushes clean by washing them regularly, which will stop the spread of bacteria.
Inspired by the rich hues and duo-chrome shades of summer dreams, re-invented mattes and multidimensional metallics leave everything to your imagination. Think amped-up everyday neutrals, perfect pops of colour with a pretty lavender shade and a fresh green colour story that feels ethereal. Whether you’re updating your signature look, recreating this season’s hottest trends, or just having a play, your face will demand the summer spotlight. Just pack a clear lip-gloss and that’s your holiday makeup sorted!
With one Pillow Talk product sold every 10 seconds globally, you can be almost certain you’re getting the crème de la crème of wearable makeup in this palette. With a mix of universally-flattering shades in a mixture of finishes (matte, shimmer, pearlescent) you can take your look from day to night without the faff of other products. Glide across eyes, highlight cheekbones, create a shimmering lip, the richness of the pigment will keep your look strong and stay-put all day – and night! Plus, the numbers on the palette, make application easy, it’s like having Charlotte Tilbury beside you (ish!) It’s no surprise why it’s aptly called the ‘luxury palette’!
If you tend to jazz up your look and have more fun with colour in the summer, particularly on holiday, then this palette is packed for bold artistry and hundreds of different ways to get you noticed. Keep your look energized from dusk until dawn with a romance of rich neutrals, glowing shimmers, deep blues, and pink pops. Transition from natural effects to smoked-out hues and vivid vibes that light up when the sun goes down. An absolute steal at £25.
A super versatile 16-colour eye palette that can be used on cheeks and as a highlighter too.
Matte, shimmer, and glitter finishes create high-impact effect that last, while cult favourite shades such as Laguna, Orgasm and Taj Mahal create intense pigment that will take you from office to summer rooftop, dancefloor and plenty more summer outings. This flattering mix of warm bronzes and exotic pinks gives a sun-kissed look whether you’re sporting a tan or not.
Always reliable to bring us iconic palettes that you’ll want to show off. This collection of ten new shades of browns and pinks infused with warm light, is inspired by the Moroccan desert (an emblematic source of inspiration for Mr. Saint Laurent). The new melt-to-the-touch metallic formula is now upgraded for matte, satin, and glitter finishes. These lightweight pigments give maximum payoff, with a skin-loving texture that surges with comfort thanks to the hydrating film and antioxidant ingredients. Curated to flatter any skin tone, eye shape, and last all day from dusk till dawn with no smudge guaranteed – this is your ultimate summer palette worth saving up for.
These eyeshadow quads were made to be eye-catching. They glide like a cream, blend like a liquid and finish like a powder. Effortlessly buildable and blendable, with no creasing, fall out or smudge. They come in two colourways but the shades in this Boss Squad palette can be worn alone, mixed together or layer up colour on colour depending on your look. You’ll make a dent in all the shades that’s for sure.
The texture and detail in this quad eye palette are second to none. But remove all the fancy bits and you’re still left with a wow factor from the high-pigment shades in gorgeous, limited-edition sandy, bronze, and earthy tones to achieve the ultimate summer glow, all decorated with the famous Dior bayadère stripes. All five shades are beautifully flattering, great for all seasons and effortlessly give more depth with a dab of water. The mini applicators are a great addition for quick on-the go touch-ups.
The products on this page have been selected by our editorial team, however, The Handbook may make a small commission on some products purchased through affiliate links.