A one of a kind destination hidden in the bustling heart of London. Set at a slower pace, the roads within Seven Dials are an escape from the busy streets of the city and home to 90 stores including world-renowned international flagships and concept locations, beauty and grooming boutiques as well as over 50 contemporary cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs.
Neal’s Yard, which is home to a number of independent eateries, has been the home of alternative medicine, occultism and astrologers since the 17th Century, all of whom were attracted by the sundial and the symbolic star layout of the streets.
Seven Dials was originally laid out by Thomas Neale, MP in the early 1690s, who cleverly laid out the area in a series of triangles to maximise the number of houses as rentals were charged per foot of frontage and not per square foot of interiors.
With an to be the most fashionable address in London, following in the footsteps of the successful Covent Garden Piazza development earlier that century; the area failed to establish itself and deteriorated into a slum, renowned for its gin shops.
Neale commissioned England’s leading stonemason, Edward Pierce, to design and construct the Sundial Pillar in 1693-4 as the centrepiece of his development in Seven Dials. The Pillar was topped by six sundial faces, the seventh ‘style’ being the column itself.