Since the beginning of 2022, Google UK receives half a million searches per month for eyeliner alone. It’s fair to say that eyes are well and truly back with a bang! Though, eyeliner has never gone out of style. It’s a quick way to add glamour to your eyes without fussing about blending and sculpting or needing a makeup brush. Look to the spring/summer catwalks to see that 80’s colour liner is back with a vengeance.
Rainbow brights, luminous neons and chalky whites are fast taking over from our trusted black and brown liners. And frankly, we like it, A LOT! Upgrading your liner to a fun, cheerful shade is the easiest way to break out of a makeup rut and spice up your look. If you’re not feeling so adventurous, ease yourself in with a pastel hue rather than a full-on colour, it will still draw attention to your eyes, but with less drama.
Whether you like a flick, sweep or smudge, Rebecca Moore, NARS Senior Makeup Artist, shares her top tips for eyeliner application and how to get it right with some clever placement and pop of colour…
1. Prep the lid. Use an eyeshadow base to prevent eyeliner from moving or smudging throughout the day.
2. Your mirror is your tool. Depending on how you want to draw on your eyeliner, change the angle of your mirror accordingly.
– For a clean line into the lashes, hold the mirror low and keep your chin high. This stretches the lid for a clean one swipe application.
–For a winged liner, hold the mirror straight ahead. Follow the bottom waterline to the corner of the eyebrow and draw a line to your desired length. Whilst the eye is open, connect the line from the wing ‘tail’ onto the lid. Colour in any gaps and add a thin line from the inner corner of the eye, into the lash line and finish at your wing.
3. Clean up mistakes with foundation. Don’t panic if your eyeliner shape goes a little off path. Use a dab of foundation on a concealer brush to undo fast.
4. Be inspired by different eras. Create a playful look with a 60s floating eyeliner. Look straight ahead in the mirror with eyes open, form a thin line above the crease, forming a parallel shape to the liner on the lash line. And join lines if you so wish.
5. Experiment with colours and being unapologetically creative with shape too. The only hard and fast rule is to have fun and express yourself.
6. Keep the rest of your makeup pared down – just groom your brows and pat on some clear lip balm.
Rock a bright line and make a statement with these eye-opening liners…
Barry M Bold Waterproof Eyeliner in Oasis Blue, £3.99– Affordable buy if you’re just testing the ‘colour liner’ water.
bareMinerals Mineralist Eyeliner in Garnet, £18– Long-wearing and foolproof to apply.
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Freak, £18– Ultra-creamy with intense colour that stays put.
NYX Epic Wear Liner Stick in Blue Trip, £7– Expect 36 hours of waterproof, budge-proof colour.
Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Snow, £17– Great choice for brightening up tear ducks.
NARS High-Pigment Longwear Eyeliner in Ocean Drive, £19– Super-soft pencil, vibrant colour. Tick, tick!
Kylie Cosmetics Kyliner Gel Eyeliner Pencil in Shimmery Purple, £14– Sparkly party eyes on point!
Dior Diorshow One Stage Liner in Pearly Rose, £29– A pretty pink shade for a pared-down finish.