For those needing a sweet tooth fix, this week’s Chefs Series sees Frenchie’s Chef Greg Marchand reveal his moreish pain au chocolat bread-and-butter pudding recipe.
Greg Marchand started his culinary journey in Nantes, Western France, as a fifteen-year-old with a passion for cooking in the kitchen. Greg studied for four years and once qualified, launched his career under David Nicholls at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Knightsbridge. As well as London and Paris, Greg has also worked in kitchens in Hong Kong and Marbella, as well as in London at The Savoy, The Electric and eventually as head chef at Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen. Opening in 2016, Greg Marchand’s critically acclaimed restaurant Frenchie Covent Garden is the London outpost of his Michelin-starred Frenchie on Rue du Nil in Paris, where he also runs Frenchie To Go, Frenchie Wine Bar and Frenchie Wine Shop.
Bread and butter pudding recipe by Chef Greg Marchand
Preparation time: 1 hour
For the Islands chocolate bread and butter pudding
- 3 pains au chocolat
- 2 croissants
- 500ml single cream
- 90g unsalted butter
- 140g sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 190g Islands dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
For the hazelnut crumble
- 60g hazelnuts
- 125g all-purpose (plain) flour
- 75g light sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the bourbon caramel
- 100g sugar
- 90g hot cream
- 40g unsalted butter
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp bourbon
- For the chocolate bread and butter pudding, cut the croissants and pains au chocolat into slices and put them into the baking pan.
- In a saucepan, combine the cream, butter, sugar, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture one-third at a time over the chocolate in a bowl, mixing well between additions. Add the eggs and whisk.
- Pour the mixture over the pains au chocolat and croissants and soak for at least 2 hours. Use a fork to push the chocolate sauce into the pastries. There should be no parts remaining that are not soaked with the sauce.
- Cover with cling film and rest in the refrigerator
- For the hazelnut crumble, preheat the oven to 175°C (gas mark 4).
- Mix the flour with the sugar and salt. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingertips. Coarsely chop the hazelnuts and add them to the mixture.
- Spread the mixture over a baking sheet lined with parchment (baking) paper and bake for 5 minutes three times, stirring the crumble each time before putting it back into the oven for uniform cooking.
- For the bourbon caramel, make a light caramel by cooking the sugar in a pan. Take the sugar off the heat and slowly whisk in the cream, then add the butter and salt and mix until smooth.
- Add the bourbon, mix, and let cool to room temperature.
- Baking and serving: Preheat the oven to 170°C (gas mark 3). Bake for 30 minutes, then let cool completely before cutting. Sprinkle with some of the hazelnut crumble and pour warm bourbon caramel over the top. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.