- 120g oat flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp chia seeds or flax seeds
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 100ml milk
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 150g blueberries
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- Honey, coconut, and yoghurt to serve
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, mix to combine and then make a well in the centre. Pour the milk into a jug and add the egg yolks. Whisk lightly to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Fold gently into the batter until combined. Add a handful of the blueberries to the batter if you want and fold in.
To cook the pancakes, melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and add a small ladleful of the mixture to the hot pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the pancakes are golden brown. Serve the pancakes on warm plates with banana slices, blueberries, a drizzle of honey, and yoghurt.
Not keen on a banana pancake recipe? Check out last week’s thousand-layer hearts recipe.
For this week’s Chefs Series, we’re commemorating Pancake Day with Donal Skehan’s gluten-free blueberry and banana pancake recipe.
Irish TV presenter and devoted foodie Donal Skehan is a veritable master in the kitchen, whizzing up easy-to-make recipes from corned beef sandwiches to hearty beef stroganoff – all designed to tantalise the palate. Having appeared in a number of food programmes and hosted his own show, Kitchen Hero, Skehan has published a series of cookbooks, with his most recent cookbook, Everyday Cook, snatching the title of Cookbook of the Year at the Irish Book Awards.