If you’re searching for a starter that will impress at your next dinner party, this week’s Chefs Series recipe sees Zoom East’s Head Chef, Vittorio Meli, take the limelight with their saffron arancini recipe.
Located at the Hyatt Place London City East in Whitechapel, Zoom East Kitchen & Bar brings the warmth and vibrancy of Sicilian cuisine to the heart of east London. The restaurant features its own private dining Orangery, courtyard and aperitivo deli bar. The menu reflects the diversity and nuances of regional Sicilian cuisine with its influences from North African, Spanish, Greek and naturally, Italian cuisines.
The perfect arancini recipe for any dinner party
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Carnaroli rice 300g
- butter 30g
- saffron 1 sachet
- 100g garden peas
- water 720g
- grated parmesan 30g
- scamorza cheese 50g
- peanut oil for frying
- Bring the indicated amount of water to a boil, add a little salt and boil the rice. At the end of cooking, the rice should have absorbed all the cooking water, but if not, drain the excess.
- Season the rice with the butter and the saffron sachet with the flame off, dissolved in two fingers of hot water.
- Add the grated Parmesan and mix everything well with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer it to a lightly buttered baking dish and let it cool.
- In the meantime, cut scamorza into cubes and blanc the garden peas.
- In the same pan, divide the rice into nine parts, take each part and stuff it with the cheese.
- With slightly moistened hands, close each arancino perfectly and roll it in the breadcrumbs. Fry 2, maximum 3 arancini at a time in abundant hot oil (the perfect temperature is 170°) until they are golden brown and drain on absorbent paper.