This week’s Chef Series recipe comes from Nobu Matsuhisa, Executive Chef of Nobu, one of the world’s most famous restaurants. The iconic name has restaurants all over the world, including three in London, so you just know a recipe from their kitchen is going to be worth trying out.
This twist on a Caesar Salad packs a serious punch with added wasabi, tofu plus an optional addition of a protein of your choice, it’s a far step removed from the typical fare you might have for a Sunday lunch.
Wasabi Caesar Salad
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Wasabi Caesar Dressing
- 300g mayonnaise
- 15g wasabi (mixed with a little water to form a paste)
- 1tsp soy sauce
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 pack aburaage tofu (fried tofu)
- 250ml dashi
- 60ml mirin
- 60ml soy sauce
- 10g honey
For the salad
- Parmesan to taste
- 6-8 hearts of little gem lettuce
- Grilled prawns or chicken
1. Preheat your oven to 90°C.
2. Wash and pat dry your tofu, and cut into small bite-sized pieces (approximately 7-10 per person).
3. Toss with the marinade ingredients until well coated and spread out on a well-greased baking tray in a single layer.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until crispy.
5. Mix together all the ingredients for your dressing and set aside.
6. In a bowl, toss together the gem lettuce, wasabi Caesar dressing, Parmesan and croutons, making sure each leaf is well coated.
You can buy aburaage tofu at most oriental food stores, or look for it online. This salad is delicious as is, or top it with a protein of your choice, such as grilled chicken or shrimp