If you’ve spent the last twelve months wearing sweats and using tinted moisturiser and little else, spice up your daily routine with a little help from Anchal Seda.
Known for her popular fashion and beauty YouTube channel, Anchal Seda is a successful makeup artist who shares her knowledge with her following. She specialises in glamorous soft but defined looks and is a whizz when it comes to special effects makeup. Whether you’re looking for the new products to try out or need help dealing with oily skin, Anchal shares her five top tips to make your skin look flawless.
What inspired you to become a makeup artist?
I’ve always been a creative person and makeup was something I only started to wear or play with in my late teens. I fell in love with how transformative it is; not only in the way you look but also how it makes you feel. Additionally, makeup has no rules, and I love how free it is. It’s art, so no matter what you do, or how you do it, you’re still creating a form of art and expressing yourself. I felt like it was something I could do forever and be happy.
What are the 5 most important beauty tips for women?
- Look after your skin as best you can. Try and maintain a skincare routine at night at the very least and always wear an SPF in the day, even if you’re inside.
- Beauty sleep is a thing, and I recommend getting 6-8 hours in if you can.
- Try to eat a balanced diet. It’s important that you feel and look good on the inside as much as the outside.
- Moisturise your skin every day and night! And please don’t forget your body, it’s just as important.
- Don’t forget your neck and hands, they’ll age first and will be the tell tale sign.
What is beauty to you?
Beauty to me is about loving the skin you’re in, whether that’s with makeup of without. It’s about self acceptance and owning who you are, regardless of how you look.
- Making sure the skin is prepped with a good skin care routine before hand and is moisturised well.
- Cream products are great for a natural finish as they melt into the skin or foundation beautifully and don’t sit too heavy. They are also easily applied with fingers/brushes.
- I love bronzer and blush, I feel like adding that warmth and colour on the skin makes the face come alive. Less is more however, so build up your products slowly.
What is your skincare routine before applying makeup?
What are your favourite tips for applying eye makeup?
1) Pick up smaller amounts of eyeshadow with your brush and build up your shadows slowly to get the intensity you like. This way you avoid going in with too much and struggling with blending it out. It’s always easier to add than it is to remove. – Where you hold your brush makes a huge difference. If you hold your eyeshadow brush at the end of the barrel you’ll be slightly more light handed and have more control.
2) Finally, my last tip is for those that struggle with eyeshadow and brushes…cream eyeshadows are game changers and will be your best friend! You can easily apply and blend them out with your fingers and still look like you’ve put in tons of effort! Don’t be afraid to experiment and find a method that suits you.
What makeup tips do you have for women dealing with oily skin?
- I know that with oily skin we tend to want to make it as matte as possible, however don’t feel like you can only go in with mattifying products. If you’re keeping your base matte, then go in with a glowy blusher to balance it out. This will allow your face to have more dimension and not look flat.
- I love using primers/setting sprays to help make my makeup last and prevent further shine. I love using the urban decay all nighter primer and setting spray as well as the Charlotte Tilbury setting spray.
What makeup tips do you have for women dealing with dry skin?
- I would highly suggest using cream blushers and bronzers on top of a radiant foundation. Creams will have a lot more hold on a dryer skin, but will also help to add luminosity back into the skin.
- Another tip is to try mixing a drop or two of a facial oil you like in with your moisturiser or even your foundation.
What is your favourite everyday makeup look?
The first thing I do is cover up my dark circles as this is one of my biggest insecurities. I’ll usually just pat a concealer under my eyes and lightly set it with a translucent powder. I’ll then apply a cream blusher onto my cheeks as this looks the most natural and works great over bare skin. I’ll then finish off with a light coat of mascara and a lip balm. It’s almost like a no makeup makeup look, but it’s one that makes me look and feel good!
What are your favourite beauty products you cannot live without?
If anyone has watched my videos over the last 7 years they would’ve heard me talk about the Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer. It’s the best for covering up any discolouration/hyperpigmentation on my face and I’ve loved it for years!!
Shop the look